1647 marks the first association of the Chivite Family with the world of wine. The evidence for this is a notarized document recording the request of a mortgage by Juan Chivite Frias and his sister-in-law for 100 ducats secured on the estate subject to the following terms: “…the winery owns up to one hundred and fifty wine vats and is situated adjacent to the house of Pedro Ximénez on the one side and Calle Real and Camino de la Carrera, a quantity of timber and a vineyard with thirtylabourers along the road tothe town of Cascante…”.
1810 José Chivite continues the family business until mid-century when he is succeeded by his son, Claudio Chivite.
1846 Claudio Chivite, heir to the wine-making legacy and the family estate, is already making a name for himself as an expert in the commercial transactions of the period. His entrepreneurial talent and a definite gift for risk management inspire him to engage in collecting the taxes that the wine producers and merchants have to pay for all wine imported or in the district of Cintruénigo.
1860 With the onset of the oidium plague in France, Bodegas Chivite begins exporting across the Pyrenees. Claudio Chivite becomes the main inspiration of the Cintruénigo-Bayonne-Bordeaux triangular trade route.
1872begins with the construction of the bodega La Cascajera, on the site it still occupies today, vacating the previous family in Calle Caballeros.
A year after the building of La Cascajera is finished, Claudio Chivite sets up what becomes known as El Parador, a traditional highway inn where many wine buyers would stay, giving a direct boost to the prosperity of the bodega.
1877 Claudio Chivite passes on his business acumen to his son Félix Chivite, who registers the first trade mark, “Félix Chivite”. In those days, the Alhóndiga of Bilbao was the main trading centre of Spanish wine and a place of feverish activity, where the name ‘Chivite’ was frequently heard among top wine merchants.